We planned this move for about a year. Before Tucker was born I loved living in the DC area. I loved having so much at my finger tips and really really loved the fact that there were hundreds of miles of trail just outside my door. My view changed not too long after Tucker. Brian and I started talking about moving closer to my family so Tucker could grow up with his grandparents and cousins. At first it was an idea but then we realized it was something we both really wanted. So the planning began. My parents are looking to retire so the timing was perfect. We would move back to the house I spent a good portion of my teenage years. It would provide us with more room, a pool, and also put us closer to family and friends in the area. It was a perfect opportunity. We talked and talked about it and got more and more excited. As it got closer it became a little more real. Suddenly, there was a lot to do. The weeks before the move we were pretty much packed and living out of boxes. By then I was ready to be moved and settled but then Tucker's last day at school came. It was the only day I cried about the move. While I will miss my friends I know I will talk to them and see them again so I never cried about it but when we were getting Tucker to say goodbye to his friends I realized he didn't really understand. He wasn't going to remember them or understand that he would never see them again. It broke my heart. I took as many pictures as I could that afternoon trying to capture some of the moments for Tucker to look back on one day. I know....he's not really going to care. He may find it sweet but he won't remember that it was sad. I think the saddest part is that he won't remember his teacher and her family. Sure I had my moments but we loved them and he loved, loved, loved going to see them. We are so grateful that we found such a wonderful family to take care of him and love him. From the day I dropped him off when he was 8 weeks old I never worried. I knew he was safe, loved and well taken care of. I only hope we can find someone here that is just as wonderful and don't think I didn't try to convince them to move with us because I did!
 |
| Tucker's first day of daycare at 8 weeks old |
 |
| Tucker's last day of daycare at 17 months old |
 |
| Tucker's first friend - Eric |
And then before we knew it it was moving day. It took much longer than we had planned. We have a lot of stuff. The movers got everything load and we got the place cleaned up and then we were off. It was 3:00 in the afternoon before we pulled out of the townhouse. Dad drove the truck, Brian was in his car, and Tucker, mom and I were in the jeep. It was a long drive. We made it to the house around 2:00 am and everyone just crashed. The next morning our wonderful neighbors came over to help unload. The unloading was much quicker. Mom kept Tucker at her house, which just happens to be in the neighborhood across the street. With everyone's help we were able to get unloaded. We started the unpacking and I had it all finished by Monday evening. We still have little things to do here and there and several changes we will make but we are settled. We live in Georgia and it was one of the best decisions Brian and I have made for the family. And now on Sunday, Father's Day, Gabriel will fly in and we will have the whole family here. We have a lot to look forward to this summer. Lots of play dates, family coming to visit, and much more. We are really looking forward to it all. We are happy to be back in the south and after 10 years it finally feels like we are home. In a home that we will be in for a long while. It's time to just sit back, settle in and enjoy the ride! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment